About This Course
This course will prepare you for work as a professional engineer at the forefront of high-technology industry in both technical and managerial roles. During the degree you will gain extensive practical experience to ensure that you develop sound practical skills as well as a thorough theoretical knowledge. The MEng involves an extra year and provides a more in-depth study of the subject.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
This course is available as a 5-year ‘with Placement Year’ option. Please apply for Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement MEng H60P. Find out more about 'with Placement Year' courses here.
The industrial placement year provides you with a fantastic opportunity to broaden your horizons and develop valuable skills and contacts through working with an organization relevant to your degree subject. Previous and current students have worked with a wide variety of placement providers, ranging from private companies to educational organizations, charities, government authorities and non-governmental organizations. Our students who have undertaken an industrial placement year have highlighted how the experience has helped them to develop invaluable networks, confidence and life experience as well as subject knowledge and skills that have boosted their employability.
The Industrial Placement Year is undertaken at the end of the second year and students are away for the whole of the academic year. The minimum period in placement (at one or more locations) is seven calendar months; more usually you would spend 10-12 months with a placement provider. You would normally start sometime in the period June to September of their second year and finish between June and September the following year. Industrial Placements can be UK-based or overseas and you will work with staff to plan and finalise the placement arrangements.
You will be expected to find and arrange a suitable placement to complement your degree, and will be fully supported throughout by a dedicated member of staff at your academic School and the University’s Skills and Employability Services.
Why choose Bangor University for this course?
- We have a long history of expertise in electronic engineering and now offer a particularly rich range of course modules.
- We have a strong research base in optoelectronics, communications, microelectronics, bioelectronics and materials science, and organic and plastic electronics.
- Electronic Engineering at Bangor is ranked 4th in the UK for Research Outputs.
- You will be taught by staff who are experienced engineers and who maintain links with industry to ensure that courses reflect recent developments.
- We offer you the opportunity to spend a year working in industry between the second and third years. Individual projects are often carried out in collaboration with a company - providing you with advantages when seeking employment.
- We offer a lively community with well-equipped laboratories, networked computers using industry-standard software and its own reference library.
- This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology - you will gain exemption from the admission examinations enabling you to apply for membership and, in due course, become a Chartered Engineer. It is also recognised by the European Federation of National Engineering Associations (FEANI).
- There is high demand from international employers for graduates who have completed this course.