You’ve probably ever tried to imagine what life would be like without doctors and teachers, but what would life be like without architects? What if people built buildings without planning? There would probably be buildings collapsing more often than they do. There would be more casualties and deaths, right? That’s why the services of architects, builders, and planners are important.
What are Architecture, Building, and Planning?
Architecture is a form of visual art as well as the product of planning, designing and building structures. A building is an actual process of erecting buildings, roads, bridges, and all other forms of infrastructure. Architecture can also be described as the design activity of architects, from landscaping and designing to the minor processes of construction. In most cases, the terms ‘architecture, building, and planning’ are used metaphorically to refer to building projects, designing and in other abstract forms.
Why should you Study Architecture, Building, and Planning?
Architecture has contributed some of the greatest ideas in history if the buildings and infrastructure in this world are things to go by. Every day you will walk past buildings and artworks that wouldn’t exist if it were not for building planners and architects. But why else would you want to be an architect?
- Lucrative Pay-In almost every country, architects earn an above average salary. Depending on the individual’s skills and expertise, the architect can earn more than all top professions in the world. The average salary, according to BLS.gov is $76,930.
- Job Security-In most countries, demand for architects is constant. You could render your services until you die. Most architects also take more than one job as their work if dynamic.
- Easy to be an Employer-It may take some time before an architect builds a worthwhile portfolio, but once done, becoming an own-boss is easy. An architect can also choose to work as a freelancer or work in a company that offers attractive terms.
- Creativity-If you would like to join a niche where your creativity is appreciated, architecture is a great career to pursue. The work of an architect, from university to work life, involves thinking outside the box and coming up with unique creations.
- Prestige-Like being a doctor or astronomer, architecture commands a lot of respect in the society. People respect that becoming an architect is a long journey and that the work of an astronomer is more prestigious.
- Architecture is a Lifestyle-If you are passionate enough to become an architect, you will live to love your job. And that’s what employers constantly look for. Becoming an architect means you are constantly coming up with new ideas and creations that you will live to cherish once they are edified.
What Skills do you need?
A successful architect will need a lot of skills, both those necessary to make them standout in their job, and other essential soft skills to make them relatable and easy to work with others. Below is an outline of the most important skills every architect should possess and how they matter in their career.
Design and Drawing Skills
When you decide to become an architect, designer or building planner, you will be involved in lots of drawing. Most people actually consider architecture a talent based professions. Some experts don’t. But the bottom line is that you must practice and perfect to be a good designer if you want to have great success in your career.
Architects do tons of calculations every day. When planning how to build a 50-story building, for example, architects must calculate the exact measurements for the building, the right angles, size of rooms, ventilation and sewerage operations and anything else involved in the building. A good architect is a smart mathematician. Without knowledge of mathematics, an architect will probably never succeed in the profession.
It’s virtually impossible to complete any project without good organization skills. From the drawing board to landscaping, designing to actual planning for a road project, an architect must constantly keep her records properly and keep track of her every operation. Architects generally follow a methodical approach when doing their work, and this demands great organizational skills.
Architecture and generally all forms of construction involve completing complex projects. This asks for great creativity and ability to solve problems analytically. Most architects will gain these skills while at the university, but practicing and perfecting analytical skills ensure that you become an outstanding architect.
Nowadays, architects complete most of their objects with the help of computers and other high-tech devices. While architects are not mandated to be experts in using this equipment, they are at least required to be adept computer users with knowledge of how to use the important software in their fields.
Ability to work in a team
Since architects and building planners are involved in large, complicated projects they will often work with other professionals such as engineers, managers, computer experts and interior designers. Architects must work hand in hand with these other professionals in order to complete their projects successfully.
Communicational skills are as important as computer skills in the life and profession of an architect. They must also be good negotiators, especially those who plan to work as freelancers or independent contractors. Building planners and architects apply their communication skills in almost every phase of their career, particularly when presenting their ideas and persuading their seniors to accept the ideas, designs or plans.
Admission-What are the entry requirements?
Here are the general requirements to pursue a degree in architecture or building planning in the best universities around the world:
- Strong academic grades
- GPA 3.0 and above in the US
- Fluency in the English language
- High grades in math, physics, and English
- Strong GCSE grades in the UK
- Straight A’s for most universities in Europe, Australia, and Canada
What is the duration of study?
Architecture and related programs take a year or two longer than most other undergraduate degree programs. In the US, Canada, and some European countries, it takes at least 5 years in an architecture university before you can graduate. In the UK, it takes 4-5 years to graduate with a degree in architecture.
What are the job opportunities?
Here are the main career choices for someone with a degree in villa design planning, architecture, and building skills:
- Landscape architect-A landscape architect designs areas where buildings will be built, utility resources such as roads, bridges, and infrastructure that respond to climatic changes.
- Research architect-With technology having a profound impact on almost every aspect of life, there is a demand for architects who can research and design more sophisticated building tools and equipment.
- Political architecture-If you ever dream of adding value to your society but you still wish to be an architect, a job as a political architect may be what you need. A political architect studies the architecture of cities, helps politicians know which buildings should be constructed where oversee the evolution of cities and make predictions about the city’s infrastructure.
- Extreme architecture-The services of architects are highly regarded in this era of climatic change and extreme weather conditions. If you are worried about the impact of changing climatic conditions, you can become an architect who designs infrastructure meant to withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Industrial architect-Not every architect designs buildings. Of course, most design and planning experts work within the construction industry, but some end up becoming designers of small tools, equipment and goods meant for mass production.
- Teaching-If you decide to pursue a master’s degree or even a PhD; you could become a lecturer in almost every university in the world. But even without an extra degree, you could pursue a short course to become a high school teacher in design.
- Urban planner-Apart from creating building plans, an urban planner handles most issues that affect urbanization. As an architect, you plan for the economic and demographical needs of cities.
- Construction managers-Just like engineers, architects, and building planners sometimes become the leaders of their industry. And since becoming an own boss in the construction industry is easy, an architect can become a construction manager within the first five years of their careers.
- Historic buildings inspector-They inspect for construction of buildings with historic significance.
What is the Expected Salary?
According to Payscale.com, the average salary for a design architect is $60,000 per year. An urban planner with some experience can expect a salary that exceeds $90,000 per year. Career length and job location are the most important factors that determine how much an architect or building planner earns.
Top 10 Architecture Building and Planning Schools
Most of the highest ranked universities are the best places to complete a degree in architecture, building, and planning. Here are the top architecture universities in the world:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)/USA
- UCL (University College London)/UK
- Delft University of Technology/Netherlands
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB)/USA
- Zurich Institute of Technology/Switzerland
- Manchester College of Architecture/UK
- Harvard University/USA
- University of Cambridge/UK
- National University of Singapore (NUS)/Singapore
- Hong Kong University/Hong Kong