Requirements for Tier 4 UK Visa



To boot, international students who originate outside EU or United Kingdom are required to apply for a student visa. It is crucial to note that you can solely apply for a study visa if your purpose is to study a full-time degree course in the United Kingdom. Essentially, student visas are not issued if you intend to take part-time courses. Keep in mind that your qualification is computed with the use of points-based rule system commonly referred to as Tier 4 student visa.

It is worth mentioning that you might require making a Tier 4 visa application while you are staying in the United Kingdom. For instance, you might require applying for such reason that includes any of the following:

  • You are shifting to a new Tier 4 sponsor.
  • You require more time to engage in re-sits or you need to repeat a component of your course.
  • You’re extending your stay in United Kingdom to work as a dentist or doctor in training, or you serve as a pupil union sabbatical officer or for Doctorate Extension scheme.

What are the crucial factors that you need to take in mind when applying for Tier 4 visa?

For you to be eligible applying for a new Tier 4 UK visas, you have to ensure that your new study course begin with not over twenty-eight days after the expiration of your present leave. Note that if the breach between the completion of your present leave and the beginning of your new study course is lengthier than twenty-eight days, take into account that you must exit the United Kingdom and consider applying from your country of origin.

On the other hand, if you presently have a general Tier 4 student visa, be reminded that you must presently be sponsored through:

  • A higher education institution abroad and you’ve been undertaking a study overseas program that is only intended for a short term in the United Kingdom.
  • A body in receipt of public financing as an institution of higher education or a recognized body in UK
  • An independent school
  • An embedded university that offers pathway courses – note that this does not consist of pre-sessional courses.

In case that you feel uncertain if this is applicable to your current situation, you could initially consult your Tier 4 sponsor. Meanwhile, you can consider applying in the United Kingdom if you presently have leave in any of the classifications below:

  • Tier 2 migrant
  • Tier 1 migrant
  • Tier 4 student

Alternatively, it is possible to make Tier 4 application in the United Kingdom provided that you were previously granted leave as a pupil under the previous rules in immigration that were in implemented prior the student rules for Tier 4 were established in the year 2009.

In the event that your last leave grant wasn’t one of the classifications mentioned above, then it is important for you to go back to your country of origin and from there apply a Tier 4 visa. It is highly recommended that you first discuss matters with an immigration officer prior you apply and that do not forget to hand in an application letter that clearly explains your current situation.


The above content is subject to continuous updates. You can always contact us for the new updates available.

Do you want to study abroad?

Let's get started! Please complete the form below and one of our study abroad counsellors will be in touch with you

same as mobile number
By submitting the information above, you agree to the terms and privacy policy of YouStudy

Articles that may interest you

United Kingdom

Important Tips Before Studying in the UK

Before studying in the UK, there are some tips which will help you to adjust to the British environment. Firstly, remember that the British sense of humour is quite an odd one. Eve ...